Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Clinic Coconut Cupcake


Who needs sleep when they can rebelliously bake?  After a long day of school and some ass-kicking at the gym... I headed home to make dinner, do some more home work, and bake for my professor's end of the semester at the Clinic party.  I had opted to bring a dessert, promising something delightful.

After consulting with my sous chef (aka mom) about what would be an appropriate dessert to bring, I decided to bake a pecan pie (with a twist by adding coconut and maybe some chocolate to it).  However, this plan was foiled when I realized at 10 p.m. that my pie dish was at my friend Anya's house (I didn't post that pie yet, but I made her a strawberry pie for her game-night party a few weeks back and forgot to pick the dish up).  Oh well, I guess pie was not meant to be.

In a moment of desperation, I scanned my cupboards to come up with a last minute idea.  I even contemplated running out to Price Chopper for a new dish.  Then I recalled a conversation I had earlier that day about cupcakes, saw the coconut, and wahlah: Clinic Coconut Cupcakes (love the alliteration).  Here's how you make them:

Ingredients

nocoupons
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature (or soften in the microwave)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 10 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut

For the Frosting:

nocoupons
  • 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

Step one: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Step two: In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.

Step three: In a separate medium/small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in about 7 ounces of coconut.

Step four: Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Step five: Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.


Step six: Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.


NOTE TO SELF: this recipe has WAY too much butter in it.  I haven't tasted them yet, but they are SUPER moist.  Perhaps we go a little more easy on the butter next time... Check.


ALSO: This recipe makes about 16 cupcakes.  I had a 12 cupcake dish so, for the 4 I baked alone I put water in the extra (non-filled) cups.  This is important because you want the cups that ARE filled to cook evenly and your pan not to warp.

4 comments:

  1. Kudos! Way to roll with the punches. Good come back on the CCC's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice recipes, it's look nice. walking to my blog, i post about repair of bread machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I do if I want to be lazy and not fill the others with water is alternate where the filled ones are sitting so they aren't in a row or all on one side :)

    ReplyDelete