Friday, September 11, 2009

Peanut Butter Cookies

The long anticipated new addition to the blog: peanut butter cookies. Admittedly, I've been neglecting this blog and also baking in general. My excuse? Moving (twice), law school, and a severe lack of kitchen utensils. Luckily, for me and my followers (love you by the way), I have conquered all three (perhaps not law school yet). I did run into one little problem while baking these cookies though: the standard baking sheet I bought was too big for my new (and tiny) oven. In true revolutionary form, I baked my cookies despite this hardship... resulting in sufficiently tasty treats and a very warm kitchen. Note to self: buy a smaller cookie sheet. Also note, this is no philanthropist baker's blog. Strictly rebellion here. Although, thanks to the Lonely Hero for bringing my attention to a great idea and cause that strives to make a little sugar go a long way.

The occasion? Cookies for the Woman's Law Caucus general interest meeting. Yes, this is a club dedicated to the progression of women in the law. The WLC decided, in light of this crappy economy and the prospect of a smaller budget from the Student Bar Association, that instead of spending $50 on store bought cupcakes (like last year) we would bake for the new members. Thereby being thrifty and showing our appreciation for new membership with bake love. I also brought some to Bombers Trivia Night for Anya Lee and her friends. The cookies received a warm welcome and I later received a Newcastle t-shirt for just sitting at the trivia-masters' table.

So here's the recipe!

Step 1: preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then grease cookie sheet (I used PAM).

Step 2: gather your ingredients.

Step 3: mix the sweet & sticky stuff.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Place the butter (softened -- w/ no microwave, I heated it up for a minute in a saucepan on the stove) and peanut butter in a bowl and beat together. Beat in a the sugar and brown sugar, then gradually beat in the egg and vanilla extract. <-- make sure it's all mixed together and smooth like. Also, I'd like to thank my Aunt Shane for the new mixing bowls she gave me. They are wonderful! :)

Step 4: mix in the dry stuff.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 and 1/2 cup rolled oats


sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into the bowl and stir in the oats.

Step 5: spoon it out.

Place spoonfuls of cookie dough onto the greased cookie sheet. Try to space them out: they flatten out in the oven and might merge together. On my standard cookie sheet, I was able to put 12 cookies on one sheet with no major merger problems.

Step 6: fork patterns.

Use a fork to make a tic-tac-toe like pattern on the cookie.

Step 7: bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Step 8: let cool for a few minutes and then transfer to somewhere they can cool completely.

Step 9: clean up.

This is something I never mentioned before that is
an essential part in the baking "process." It really goes without saying except for I took a picture of my clean-up job and wanted to post it. Note the Van Gogh I got from a garage sale last weekend.


Step 10: Enjoy!!











Note: This recipe makes about 26 cookies (less if you eat some of the cookie dough, obviously).

No comments:

Post a Comment