Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chiles Rellenos!


In an attempt to break away from my sugary past and to evade my everlasting homework, I present: chile rellenos! Chiles rellonos, for those who don't know, are skinless chiles dipped in batter and stuffed with cheese, covered with lightly spiced red sauce.


The occasion? My mom was coming over for dinner at my new place. First, I perused the internet for some simple but comprehensive recipes. Then I went to my local chopper for some missing ingredients (namely chiles) and in search of some negra modelo (mom's favorite). Didn't find the booze, but found the chiles; I used Anaheim chiles. Oh well. The following is the (easy?) recipe I found from this site.


Note: I'm more of a baker than a cook... As such, I didn't really deviate from the recipe I got from the above site. The only thing I changed was the amounts because I made 4 (not 6) rellenos. I have to say, they tasted pretty good but they are by no means good for you. I mean really, deep fried cheese covered in batter? Think about it...


Step 1: Rinse 4 chiles and dry




Step 2: Preheat oven to broil


Step 3: Place the chiles in a 9 x 14 glass baking dish and place on the top shelf of your oven.


Step 4: Watch and listen closely. When the skins start to make popping sounds and to char and turn black in places, take the chiles out and flip them over.



Step 5: When both sides are fairly evenly charred, remove them from the oven. (I encountered a problem during this step: smoke alarms went off and the neighbors started bitching).


Step 6: Wrap each chile in a moist paper towel to steam.



Step 7: After a few minutes, check them. Once the skin comes off easily, peel each chile (Easier said then done!)


Step 8: Cut a slit almost the full length of each chile. Make a small "t" across the top, by the stem. Pull out fibers and seeds (this is where the heat is) and replace with a thin slice of monterey jack cheese. I must have left some of that "heat" because my mouth was on fire later.


Step 9: Whip the egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer (or if you don't have one, like me, use a fork and work it!) until stiff peaks have formed (hehe).


Step 10: Heat 3/4 cup of (vegetable, olive, or corn) oil in a skillet until a drop of water sizzles when dropped into the pan. Pero, ten cuidado!


Step 11: Beat 3 egg yolks with one tablespoon flour and 1 tsp salt. Mix the 3 yolks into egg whites and stir until you have a thick paste.


Step 12: Roll the chiles in 1/8 (or more if needed) cup flour and dip each one in the egg batter. Coat evenly. Fry, seam side down on both sides until golden brown - I flipped them once also. Place on paper towels to drain.




Step 13: Meanwhile, heat the salsa (1 cup salsa verde, 1 cup homestyle salsa) in a medium saucepan (either one or some of each). Place one or two Rellenos on each plate and pour salsa over them. Note: I didn't make salsa, rather I heated up some polenta, cut cherry tomatoes, and diced onions to compliment the rellenos. I drizzled lime over the chiles before serving (a yummy trick I picked up from Jose).



Step 14: Serve and enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMmmmMMmMmmm... I wish I was there. Those look GREAT! Also sounds like a good experience. Thanks for posting, you can send some in the mail if you want.

    ReplyDelete