Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pink Velvet Cake

pink velvet cake in the DC heat

This past weekend, I attempted to make a red velvet cake. Turns out you need a lot more red food coloring than I anticipated. So, here is the recipe for the pink velvet cake that I made while I was visiting my friend, Ben, in D.C. Also, I've had a request for more pictures so I'm going to do so with this one.

click to enlarge (no kidding)

And just so all of you know, this was a REALLY easy cake and I sort of cheated by buying a packaged cake mix and packaged frosting. Okay, I cheated. But I had to! Ben lives in a legitimate bachelor pad: he and his roommate, Luke, don't have much to work with in the way of kitchen utensils and ingredients (they don't even have measuring cups). Knowing this, I came up with a simple recipe that would (hopefully) taste good, be fun to make, and be a treat for Ben and Luke.

Note to Self: Don't bake in the D.C. August heat again. For those of you who are not aware of this already, D.C is currently on Heat Alert and it's literally scorching out.

Step 1: get it together.

Go to any grocery store and buy white cake mix (or even red velvet mix if you can find it) and cream cheese icing. I think this is where I went wrong with the color... If you are going to try this, or if I ever make this again, I'm going to try it with chocolate cake to get a richer red color.

Step 2: follow the directions.

Preheat oven (350 degrees F). Combine all the ingredients for the cake (the mix, eggs, vegetable oil, water) in a large bowl and blend it together until smooth and there are no more chunks in it. Add red food coloring (A LOT!) and stir it in until you get your desired red/pink hue.

Step 3: prepare the dish.

I used an 8x8 glass dish because that's all that was available in the house. I coated the inside of it in a light layer of oil. I would have covered that with a light later of flour so it wouldn't stick to the glass, but they didn't have any.

Step 4: bake at 325 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.

Step 5: cool it for about 2 hours and then transfer it to a plate.

Step 6: ice it and decorate.

This is my favorite part. I iced it kind it haphazardly and sprinkled it with red sprinkles to make it look delicious and pretty.

Step 7: serve it.

Another reason I wanted to cook this weekend was so I could use my new pie cutter that was a very thoughtful and adorable gift from Ann E. Dibble. Although I didn't make a pie, I served the pink velvet cake with my pink and purple pie cutter to very appreciative friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment